Sunday, November 18, 2012

Kindergarten's Alphabet Party

Kindergarten finished a lesson learning about the lines, shapes and colors used by artist, Piet Mondrian. We discovered that he painted very straight black lines.  Now it was time to explore what else lines could do.

First, we learn about basic painting skills like "dip, tap, paint": how to dip your brush into paint and tap it on the side before painting (this is the opposite of "dip, drip, drip, drip, paint"!). Also, to keep colors fresh, each color brush "lives" in it's own "house" - no "visiting other colors"! 

While teaching these skills, I demonstrate painting my initial, "M", so large that it fills the whole paper.  You'd think I was magic if you heard all the "oohs" and "aahs"!!! Then, I select two other colors to outline the "M". What other kinds of lines do we know?  Children give me ideas: wavy, curly, zig-zag, spiral. Sometimes there aren't words- they draw on the board to show us. 
I quickly demonstrate some possibilities around the letter. 
And then, it's their turn! 

Savannah decides our art looks like an alphabet party! 


My creative parent volunteer spreads the word  : )
Gives me ideas for next year, too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment