Thursday, March 17, 2016

Snowmen at Night

Hello, hello???  Is anybody there? 
Well, it's about time I stop hibernating and poke my nose out into the world again. Just in time for Spring! 

Much has been happening in the SJS Art Studio this past months, (despite this quiet blog) and with a few days of winter officially remaining, I wanted to share these awesome fifth grade masterpieces.

These dynamic artworks were inspired by the book, Snowmen at Night.  We spent lots of time analyzing how the illustrator, Mark Buehner, creates the illusion of three dimensional forms on a flat surface. The idea of realistic art as a magic trick, an illusion, seems to captivate my students. 
Vocabulary such as shape, form, light, shadow, highlight, illusion and movement infuse conversation as students work with chalk pastels. 

Funny, everyone worked so hard on the concepts, I forgot to remind them they could add snow! 












No comments:

Post a Comment